Outlining and a Book Review
Outlining a biography offers follow of this necessary pre-writing, comprehension and research ability. Marilyn Alexander wrote of her husband, Jeffrey Alexander’s Fifty Years of Ministry with the aim of informing his household, pals and others of how God has used this man for 50 years.
When educating college students to stipulate embody an introduction to MS Word or different phrase processor’s outlining function. For learners utilizing the chapter titles and different headings present an ideal introduction. Later, you need to require extra detailed data. Also, sooner or later a pupil ought to expertise utilizing parallel construction within the define. Marilyn Alexander supplied examples of parallel construction in her headings as the identical components of speech seem in a sample. Repeating phrases and phrases work in outlines.
The Fifty Years’ Ministry of an Ordinary however Remarkable Man:
Called, Chosen, Faithful
By Marilyn Alexander
I. Part One – Called
A. Chapter One – Called to Salvation Through “Call-ege” # 1 1943-1962
1. Born on October 25, 1943 in Denver, Colorado to Alex and Verdonna Alexander.
2. Called to Salvation – at age 6 in an American Sunday School Union Sunday School held at an elementary college in what’s now Lakewood, Colorado.
3. Called to Conviction – His father confirmed conviction when evaluating the educating of God’s phrase with what he heard at a denominational church. His father led the household to South Sheridan Baptist Church (SSBC). Under the ministry of Ed Nelson, God referred to as Jeff to evangelise.
4. Called to “Call-ege” #1 – Ed Nelson inspired Jeff to attend Bob Jones University in Greenville, South Carolina. God supplied the funds for the primary semester via his work at a grocery store and a warehouse man for the summer time. Further, God equipped for the second semester with a present from a household that had saved a sum of cash and had given it to the Lord.
5. Called to Serve Servicemen – Jeff took each alternative for ministry throughout his school days and past. On one event he went to the Christian Servicemen’s Center in Augusta, Georgia. Here he preached his second sermon and God protected them from a possible deadly collision with a practice on their means again to campus.
6. Called to Preach – Jeff obtained his first license to evangelise on June 1, 1962 for a 3 month summer time ministry with Gospel Fellowship Mission.
B. Chapter Two – Called to “Call-ege” # 2 – 1962-1963
1. Encouraged to review at Baptist Bible College -Summer Ministry didn’t present funds for an additional 12 months at BJU. New management added to Jeff’s curiosity in BBC – New president – Jack Hyles and new vp – Ed Nelson. This management lasted just one 12 months.
2. Called to the Candy Kitchen – Jeff labored at night time at Russel Stover Candies and attended lessons at Baptist Bible College through the day. He lived at dwelling.
3. Called to Artistry – Jeff started to make use of his creative talents at space church buildings doing chalk artwork and preaching.
4. Called to Sugar City – SSBC licensed Jeff for a summer time ministry.
C. Chapter Three – Called to Sugar City – 1963
1. Called to a small city in southeastern Colorado – Jeff attended providers in Crowley and preached in Sugar City on Sunday afternoons. People got here from Crowley and Ordway.
2. Called to belief God for provisions – a spot to remain, a fridge, meals, assist with the automobile.
D. Chapter Four – Called to “Call-ege” # 3
1. Called to Pillsbury Baptist Bible College (PBBC) in Minnesota – inspired to go by Ed Nelson and Dr. Monroe Parker (from PBBC) – small college, loads of alternatives to serve the Lord.
2. Called and Using His Car – Jeff bought his previous automobile to pay for faculty bills. His dad gave him the household automobile. Soon God was utilizing that automobile to get Jeff and others to ministry assignments.
3. Called to More Preaching – Chicago and different cities in Illinois, different space church buildings.
4. Called to Do More Art Work – In his preaching alternatives in addition to for college drama productions.
5. Called to Use Other Talents – components in performs and humorous monologues.
6. Called to Date His Wife-to-Be – Marilyn and Jeff, merely conscious of one another throughout their junior 12 months, started thus far throughout their senior 12 months. Jeff’s credit score rely fell quick so he needed to take summer time college and wait a 12 months to graduate. After summer time college, Jeff returned to Colorado, their future unsure.
E. Chapter Five – Called to Pastor At Galeton, Colorado – 1965-1968
1. Galeton, Colorado, positioned 14 miles northeast of Greeley with barely a inhabitants of 100. This calling marks the start of Jeff’s 50 years of ministry.
2. Pastor Ed Nelson invited Jeff to his workplace the place two deacons from Galeton Baptist Church waited. They needed him to evangelise till that they had a pastor. After a pair of months, they needed him to be the pastor though he supposed to go to seminary finally.
3. Called to Ordination – March 17, 1966
4. Called to Reunite – Graduation at PBBC
a. Marilyn, educating music at PBBC, obtained recommendation – write to inform him that she seemed ahead to seeing him at commencement.
b. Jeff arrived in a model new crimson mustang – that did it for Marilyn.
c. Marilyn visited Colorado and Jeff’s household in July, 1966.
d. While driving again to Denver having finished some sightseeing Jeff stated, “I want to marry you.”
She requested, “Are you asking me?
After a second, evaluating whether or not this was the time and place, he stated, “Yes, will you marry me?”
Marilyn stated, “Yes!”
On the way in which again they deliberate the marriage.
e. His wage of $50.00 per week wouldn’t present for a spouse. He continued preaching on Sundays and Wednesdays, moved again to Denver to reside together with his grandmother and labored at a shoe retailer.
5. Called to Small Town – nicely handled by all, particularly by servers at a café till he went with Marilyn. No extra particular remedy.
6. Called to Marry – June 10, 1967 – Plymouth Baptist Church, Plymouth, Minnesota.
7. Called to a Busy First Month of Marriage – after a brief journey dwelling / honeymoon, they needed to get again in order that Jeff might officiate at a wedding- Eight days after their very own. Jeff’s mother and father celebrated 25 years of marriage 13 days after they Jeff and Marilyn have been married.
8. Called to Enjoy Ministry -Music and Fellowship and Punctuality classes.
9. Called to More Education -Marilyn taught piano and organ classes at PBBC in Denver. Jeff took a category at BBC throughout that point.
10. Called to Even More Education – Symptoms of being pregnant in 1968 prompted the Alexanders to maneuver to Minnesota for seminary earlier than youngsters began coming. Jeff bought his mustang and bought a automobile that might haul a U Haul.
F. Called to Central Seminary and White Bear Lake, Minnesota – 1968-1976
1. Called to Secular Work – to offer for household – shoe salesman and material warehouse driver.
2. Called to White Bear Lake, Minnesota – Pastor of Bellaire Baptist Church
3. Called to Lead Others – Many folks related to Central Seminary and PBBC ministered within the church.
4. Called to Support Missions – Jeff and Marilyn participated in month-to-month conferences of Twin City Association of the Minnesota Baptist Convention and Jeff held positions. During this time he realized of “Faith Promise” and it ignited a want to assist missions that by no means died.
5. Called to Good Training – At Central Seminary, Jeff realized of expository preaching and going first to the Word after which later to commentaries.
6. Called to Be Tested Sometimes -God supplied the Alexander’s wants, usually “within the nick of time.”
7. Called to Grow – Church grew so that they needed to vacate the connected “parsonage.”
8. Called into Association with Others – Minnesota Baptist Association
9. Called Elsewhere- Bible Baptist Church, Terre Haute, IN
G. Called to Terre Haute, Indiana – 1976-1978
1. Called to Assist – Jeff needed extra expertise studying from a extra skilled Pastor. His job included Sunday School promotions and fundraising.
2. Called to Some Productive Fun – Fossil accumulating -family enjoyable and future rewards for Sunday School youngsters.
3. Called to Loyalty – Pastoral employees resigned; Jeff was requested to contemplate to remain, however didn’t out of loyalty to the godly pastor.
H. Called to Evangelism and Lay Ministry – 1979-1990
1. Called to evangelism – January, 1990
2. Called to Trust God -When wage from Bible Baptist Church ceased, the Alexanders trusted God to offer via choices. Marilyn wrote in a journal concerning these events when God equipped.
3. Called to Live in a “Hallway -“the 32 foot trailer that God supplied for the rising household.
4. Called to Laugh with God at “What we do not want is one other child.”
5. Called to Help -Helped Jeff’s mother after the demise of her second husband and labored within the household building firm for a number of weeks.
6. Called to Remember the Good and Hard Times – Parking in a Pastor’s driveway between conferences induced some neighbor issues.
7. Called to Close Living – Children have been rising up and wanted some roots.
8. Called to Spacious Living – Jeff’s brothers have been constructing a home for them in Lakewood, Colorado.
9. Called to Transition – Problems with the truck that hauled the trailer.
10. Called to Lay Ministry – Jeff and Marilyn led the senior residents’ ministry at SSBC. Jeff grew to become concerned within the Colorado Association of Christian Schools.
II. Part Two / Chapter Nine- Chosen – 1979-1986
A. Turning Point – Jeff got here to a turning level in his understanding of God’s Word.
B. Turning Point Topic coated in Jeff’s guide: Predestined for Heaven? Yes!
C. Chosen as in Calvinism –
1. Total Depravity
2. Unconditional Election
3. Limited Atonement
4. Irresistible Grace
5. Perseverance of the Saints
D. Chosen in Spite of Self – “We love Him, as a result of He first liked us.” I John 4:19
E. Chosen to Understand Through John 3:16 “God liked the world on this means (so)… “
F. Chosen, Like Puritans – Arthur Pink, John Owen, Joseph Carroll
G. Chosen to Bless Others with Understanding – First, Marilyn, then daughter Karen and plenty of extra.
H. Chosen to Restraint -Teaching Sunday School at his church – although anxious to inform others (as are most new Calvinists), he did not need to trigger hassle.
I. Chosen Amid General Misunderstanding – Most trendy Baptists are unaware of their theological heritage.
J. Chosen to Give Out the Gospel – Since we have no idea who God has chosen, we should declare the Gospel to all, trusting God with the remainder.
Okay. Chosen to Give Forth the Gospel -Jeff wrote a gospel observe following this define:
1. God created us for His glory. Isaiah 43: 6,7
2. We are required to reside for His glory. I Corinthians 10:31
3. We have did not reside for His glory. Romans 3:23
4. We are topics of God’s simply condemnation. II Thessalonians 1:9
5. God gave His solely Son to offer salvation from this condemnation. I Timothy 1:15, 1 Peter 3:18
6. The advantages bought by the demise of Jesus Christ belong to solely to those that repent of their sin and belief Christ for his or her salvation. Acts 3:19
III. Part Three – Faithful -It is God who’s trustworthy.
A. Faithful in Lamar, Colorado: The First Few Years- 1990-1994
1. Faithful in Candidating – didn’t disguise place, however that data didn’t get to all people on committee.
2. Faithful via the “Honeymoon.”
3. Faithful When Criticized
4. Faithful Though Maligned
5. Why did all of the folks go away?
6. Faithful by God’s Grace
7. Faithful with Humor
B. Faithful in Preaching and Writing – 1994-1999
1. Faithful: Preaching Style and Character
2. Faithful When Criticized and When Encouraged
3. Faithful in Studying Out Issues
4. Faithful in a New Position – Principal and Teacher at Lamar Christian School
5. Faithful Although Disfellowshipped -Eschatology
6. Faithful With the Faithful
C. Faithful as Attendance Declined – 2000-2003
1. Faithful in Debate with a National Figure – Robert L. Sumner – The Biblical Evangelist
2. Faithful within the Face of Criticism
3. Faithful in Subsidiary Ministries – cooking, males’s neighborhood Bible research
4. Faithful to His Philosophy of Ministry.
D. Faithful in New Pursuits – 2004-2009
1. Faithful with Additions to the Family – via foster care.
2. Faithful Despite Decline -moving to smaller constructing to save lots of bills.
3. Faithful in Working at a Church Plant – Garden City, Kansas.
4. Faithful in Missions – missionaries linked with Fellowship of Independent Reformed Evangelicals
E. Faithful to the Fifty Year Mark – 2010-2015
1. Faithful to the Garden City Church – needed to discontinue, looking forward to future work.
2. Faithful in More Personal Wrestling – “I feel typically God brings to the brink to be able to present us ourselves and our want for Him. Being discouraged motivated my research of the Word.” P. 175
3. Faithful When God Encouraged
4. Faithful With the Faithful in Lamar
5. God Is Faithful!
This guide offers nice encouragement for each referred to as and chosen one (i.e. Christian) to be trustworthy throughout instances of encouragement and discouragement. God is trustworthy!