Before we begin, there isn’t a such factor as “Duffer’s Fortnight”! Fly fishing for trout is troublesome all 12 months spherical and it may be notably troublesome in the Mayfly season if one shouldn’t be cautious. Whether stocked or wild, the trout are experiencing quite a lot of change and this impacts their feeding habits. Wild trout have simply come by the winter and can be eager to fatten themselves up. Stocked fish could have simply been moved from a inventory pond the place that they had as a lot meals as they might eat. The Mayfly season can be the most well-liked and you’ll assure the waters have been thrashed to demise by different fishermen so the trout can be cautious and simply spooked. They might not run for canopy, however they’ll definitely cease feeding. So, what are the highest suggestions? Here are my Top Ten Tips for Catching Early Season Trout:
1. Select a fly that matches the situations. Mayfly have two grownup phases, the dun and the spinner, so ensure you use the correct sort – they’re very completely different.
2. Add floatant to the fly however ensure you don’t get it on the final 12 inches of your tippet. Use Fuller’s Earth to degrease the final 12 inches of the tippet. This will make sure that the tippet doesn’t sit visibly on the floor and frighten the fish.
3. Use the lightest tippet attainable. For most trout fishing 4lb breaking pressure is okay however on chalk streams chances are you’ll must go lighter.
4. Always take a look at your knots or the primary fish you hook will do it for you!
5. Never forged past your talents. All this does is frighten all of the fish in the speedy space. If you’ll be able to solely forged delicately at brief distances then solely forged brief distances!
6. Use stealth always. Always attempt to get near the fish with out them seeing you. If fish see you they’ll cease feeding even when they don’t bolt for canopy.
7. Try to make use of the minimal variety of false casts. Every forged dangers horrifying the fish and will increase the probabilities of you getting caught in a tree. Remember that casting is only a technique of delivering the fly to the correct place on the proper time. Perfect casting approach and 60 foot casts don’t catch fish!
8. When you hook a fish stay hidden and stealthy. The trout doesn’t know what has occurred and can play extra simply if it stays confused. If you rise up and present your self the trout will run from you as laborious as attainable as it’ll affiliate you with the hazard it’s in.
9. Keep management of the trout always so it doesn’t frighten different fish or bolt into weed.
10. Once you might have safely landed your first fish of the day, take a few of the fish slime and rub it into the final 12 inches of the tippet. Fish slime is a pure whetting agent and can assist masks the unnatural odor of your fishing sort out.
There are extra suggestions and recommendation on the hyperlinks inside the useful resource field beneath.